October 19, 2014

American League Colostomy Series

We’re a few days away from the start of the 2014 World Series in Kansas City and I am a happy man.
Not because two wild card teams will meet in the fall classic.
Not because it is the KC Royals and SF Giants that are playing each other: nothing good or bad about either team. Cinderella stories both.

It’s because the Yankees didn’t make it into the playoffs and the Orioles got pummeled in the ALCS.
Source: The New Yorker

I have a Nixon-like vindictive streak and I was overjoyed when the Yankees didn’t get a wild card spot this year. Didn’t buy into the “Goodbye Jeter” merchandising of memories season either. I almost had heart palpitations from the joy of seeing the Orioles swept.
Yes, I am a sore loser.

Blue Jays’ Opening Day: such high hopes.
This season’s record of 83-79 was tolerable, but the Blue Birds didn’t live up to expectations. No revelation there. So they haven’t been in the playoffs since the back-to-back World Series wins in 1992-93 and now hold the title for the longest post-season absence bites…patience will pay off eventually. In short, this season’s bland ending doesn’t bite so hard because of the satisfaction I got from viewing the Stankees not advancing any further than the Jays did. It’s enough to get me through the winter.

Ah, I feel better now. if you bothered to read this far, thanks!

No comments: